[Bf-funboard] Object manager update (Luke)

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:11:52 +1000

> > Could you clarify something? Is "Head" layer 1, "Background" layer 2,
> > "Mystery" layer 3, etc?
> They are groups. Could be compared to layers that contain layers.

So are they sublayers? If so, then maybe the layers should also be shown...
BTW, since you have visibility, etc, stuff there, would the layers buttons
still exist?

> That brings up the issue that selection in the hierarchy should be like
> in 3d views. I would prefer LMB in both cases.
> My design should better have context menus for the hierarchy items, and
> it would be totaly weird to put them on LMB.

I agree.

> Any ideas on avoiding active unselected state?

Idea:
When no items are selected then the active item becomes inactive.... when
other items are still selected but the selected active item becomes
unselected, the active item becomes inactive and a) there remains no active
item or b) one of the selected items becomes active (not sure how it should
be chosen).

> > BTW, for scrolling, I think home, end, mousewheel, pageup, pagedown,
> > up-arrow and down-arrow should be used for scrolling.
> Up and down arrow keys? What to use for frames +/- 10?
> No, please don't answer, Ton wants complete proposals for such things,
> don't mess up this thread ;-)

In my suggestion, up and down arrow keys aren't very useful anyway since
they only scroll through the list one item per keypress. The mousewheel or
pageup/pagedown is better. So then the arrows could remain as animation
keys. (on the other hand... maybe ctrl-left-arrow and ctrl-right-arrow or
shift+leftright-arrows could be used to move in 10 frame increments... I
mean the timeline is shown horizontally anyway and it is a little unclear
whether up or down moves the current time to the left or right.)

> I guess I realy have to create some diagram to better explain the system.
> Icons are for visibility in 3d views and rendering (in that order). First
> one shows the mesh, other shows a frame. Can't judge them myself, because
> I know what they are about anyway. I'm open for suggestions.

For visibility you could have a picture of an eye. The eye could go to
triangular points on the left and right sides (like a fairly realistic eye)
and have a circle for the pupil and an iris. Maybe it could have eyelashes
that radiate outwards at the top of the eye's boundary.
For rendering... well 3dsmax uses a kettle... blender seems to use a
pictureframe... maybe you could use a picture of a sun (circle with
radiating lines that aren't joined to the circle) for rendering enabled, or
if it is no-render, the icon could be a ghost. (like a pacman ghost) BTW,
what do the icons mean exactly? I mean for the visibility icon, does it mean
things are visible, or they're not visible? For rendering, does the icon
mean that things will be rendered, or not rendered? For the lock I guess
that means if the item has a circle in that column then the item is locked.
- Luke.