[Bf-funboard] Object manager update (Luke)

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:48:09 +0100

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:33:55AM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:

> Could you clarify something? Is "Head" layer 1, "Background" layer 2,
> "Mystery" layer 3, etc?

They are groups. Could be compared to layers that contain layers.

> I agree that the RMB should be used for a context menu though it usually is
> used to select things in blender. (usually shift-RMB is used as well, except
> in the case of the file-browser-type windows)

That brings up the issue that selection in the hierarchy should be like
in 3d views. I would prefer LMB in both cases.
My design should better have context menus for the hierarchy items, and
it would be totaly weird to put them on LMB.

> "Selected entries (always same as in 3d views) are shown in orange, the one
> active item in a negative style"
> Note that in blender, an item can be selected and active - or it can be
> unselected and active... so do you think it should be blue (in that example)
> when it is active, regardless of whether it is selected or unselected? (I
> personally think there should be 4 types of colours - active selected,
> active unselected, inactive selected, inactive unselected - or the
> active/selected system could be changed throughout blender).

Any ideas on avoiding active unselected state?

> BTW, for scrolling, I think home, end, mousewheel, pageup, pagedown,
> up-arrow and down-arrow should be used for scrolling.

Up and down arrow keys? What to use for frames +/- 10?
No, please don't answer, Ton wants complete proposals for such things,
don't mess up this thread ;-)

> I'm too confused by that locking/visibility stuff at the moment but I think
> the first two icons (no render and visible?) aren't very obvious.
> - Luke.

I guess I realy have to create some diagram to better explain the system.
Icons are for visibility in 3d views and rendering (in that order). First
one shows the mesh, other shows a frame. Can't judge them myself, because
I know what they are about anyway. I'm open for suggestions.

---
Thorsten