[Bf-funboard] LMB, RMB... Re: shift-F4 and Append ideas

ph bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:47:56 +0100

Hi Luke

  You are right in one point: the use of LMB in the browser windows as
selection tool seems inconsistent. I agree to that.

  But still the selection button is RMB and should be used in all window
content. LMB is for buttons.
  I guess this decision has been made to divide strain between the fingers
of the hand and I see no reason to argue it.

  If you reverse one side only, you start using LMB for almost anything.

  In your terms, Luke, it would be inconsistent to use RMB for buttons. As
far as I know, LMB is used for almost anything in other applicationss, while
RMB is only used for context menus and minor functions. This is a
questionable 'let the index finger do everything' standard.

  now for shift LMB:

  It is absolutely not necessary for the function 'select' to work totally
the same, regardless of the content. A file browser demands other qualities
than a 3d window. So a RMB drag in the file browser is better as long as an
additional shift is unnecessary. Smart instead of hard.

  Consistancy is important only as long as it supports the workflow.

Peter