Append ideas Re: [Bf-funboard] good append

ph bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:25:41 +0100

Luke wrote:

/*BTW, what do you mean by "proper naming does the trick, too"? Do you just
mean it makes it easier to find the parts, which you still have to select
individually to append?*/

  Precisely. Proper naming sorts the items alphabetically if you use good
prefixes with good main names. I consider myself to be dangerously sloppy if
I find a 'Plane.001' in any of my serious work ( :

  I am more concerned about things that Blender does NOT have. If Blender
already provides something and I just have to learn how, I am fine.

  One good example is rotoscoping: Use uvmapped planes in a different scene
as a backgroundlayer (and some additional tricks) and you have little to
desire more. You have to know the trick, but it's there and that's enough
for me.

  I have my problems with the 'still to come' features, like the ability to
model something in it's deformed state, when it is already part of an
armature or a lattice. I have problems with slow IK, lacking EPS vector
export/import (also Flash) and so on.

  If my house lacks both a DVD player and a toilet, I want the toilet first.

  The append function may not be the most obvious, but that's what help
systems and docs are for. And I feel grateful for every mouse move and
keystroke that I can save (I have already some trouble with my wrists). That
means, I prefer rightclick over a shift left click.

  And you can select multiple objects that are close together by holding RMB
and dragging over them (again, proper prefixes keep the objects together in
the list). So it's already quite sophisticated.

Peter Haehnlein

(no tripledots were harmed or killed in this mail)