[Bf-funboard] Render Buttons proposal

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:06:38 +1000

Those PAL and NTSC presets you list are actually "square pixel" presets...
they involve more pixels being rendered than necessary, though the
non-resized output looks fine on computers since the pixels are square. The
proper resolutions are 720x576 for PAL (with a certain aspX and aspY since
the pixels aren't square) and 720x480 for NTSC - basically how it is now -
including the framerate (25fps or 30fps). I don't think there should be 601
and DV/DVD NTSC settings like you have there... if you chose the wrong one
the output would look about the same anyway. (it would be about 1% too tall
or short...)
Since it looks like there are 3 categories of screen resolutions maybe there
could be a 2 stage menu... the first stage could say "PC screen" or "TV
screen" or "Paper"(?) then within the menus are the items. That way you
could have different paper settings with different DPI's, more PC
resolutions (1280x1024, etc), the full range of HD things, PAL/NTSC both in
progressive and fields/interlaced, etc. BTW, DV NTSC(?)/PAL are lower field
first which is the same as even field first in blender... the presets should
probably include the fields. For progressive video, I think it shouldn't use
fields at all even though it may look slightly better if you use fields plus
no time difference ("X") between fields. The reason is because the "X" and
fields setting makes it take longer to render (envmaps, shadow maps, etc,
are rendered twice per frame)
- Luke.