AW: OpenGL in renderer please! and bugs....... Re: [Bf-funboard] Render Buttons proposal

Benjamin Freundorfer bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:46:26 +0100

I second that. Although it sounds a bit too much, to include 4 different
render methods.
But I would love to see at least two of them: shaded and textured.
Because you nearly cant preview any animation especially with RVKs, when
in wiremode.

benjamin

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: bf-funboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org] Im Auftrag von Luke Wenke
Gesendet: Dienstag, 03. Februar 2004 14:40
An: bf-funboard@blender.org
Betreff: OpenGL in renderer please! and bugs....... Re: [Bf-funboard]
Render Buttons proposal

> Btw, is openGL to be included as renderer? At version 3.30 it was. And
> it came in very handy for previewing an animation.

OpenGL is kind of a renderer in Blender 2.32... if you ctrl-click the
picture icon in the 3d view's header, it renders and saves the animation
of
the current 3d view (press numpad 0 to switch to the camera view). It
will
render in wireframe, shaded, textured (to some extent), etc, just like
it is
rendered in the 3d view (except without the grid, etc). Unfortunately it
doesn't render the camera's view perfectly if you have the camera view
zoomed in or out too far.
My suggestion is that the following appear on the rendering list:
OpenGL Wireframe (maybe)
OpenGL Fake lighting (since the "solid" mode now shows things as solid
and
smooth, but lighting isn't based on actual lighting)
OpenGL Basic lighting (this is the "shaded" mode)
OpenGL Textured

BTW, in shaded mode, the lights don't appear to act any different unless
you
grab them and move them around... i.e. if you change the colour of a
light,
it doesn't affect the openGL view unless you grab the light and move it
around a bit. (or use "s" or "r" on the light, but right-clicking on the
light without dragging won't do anything).

I think adding those render methods to the render buttons (which would
render from the main camera's POV) and fixing that lighting bug would be
good start.
Then maybe the programmers could improve the OpenGL renderer and make
its
output approach the final output (e.g. have optional bump-mapping,
shadow-maps, transparency, envmaps, mip-mapping, lens flares, etc). That
way
the games engine would be better, the interactive view would be better,
and
people could do fast renders using fast 3D video cards [that even have
antialiasing] (where each frame could take 1 second or less to render).

- Luke.