[Bf-funboard] True Texture Baking

Nick Winters nickrwinters at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:34:58 CET 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:01:54 +0200, Daniel Fairhead <madprof at uk2.net> wrote:
> > ... well anway, I've been playing with a script to automatcally uvmap
> > one or more meshes [needs a lot of work], but it seems finding a way
> > to bake things like shadows is somewhat more of a problem
>
> can you bake vertex colors? if so, can you use the radiosity tool(s) for this?
>
> Dan

you can bake vertex colors, however the problem with baking radiosity
is that you need to get the same uv coordinates on the start and
resulting mesh.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:33:04 -0800, joeedh <joeeagar at prodigy.net> wrote:
> One problem with baking procedural textures is that you really need true
> UVW mapping.  Especially if your using a Python script.

I fail to see why, having baked procedural textures fine with only UV mapping

the trick is that orco mapped textures will stay the same spot on the
mesh when it is unfolded using vertex keys.  Of course, requiring this
means you can't really bake textures mapped to anything other than
orco [such as objects or global], which is a case you might want UVW
[instead of just UV] mapping.

however, until blender gets multiple sets of UV coordinates it doesn't
really matter