[Bf-funboard] True Texture Baking

Nick Winters nickrwinters at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:17:31 CET 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:48:24 +0400, Juan Julio Peña Mena
<jjulio.pena at verizon.net.do> wrote:
>  As far as I know, the current implementation just take any procedural
> material applyed and render it as a RGB on the UV mapped image.
>
>  What I suggest is a true baking, that will also take into account the
> lights, shadows, color bleeding and etc.

well, how should we do it then?  About the only way I can think of is
setting up the camera with the clip setting to render one and only one
face, and render for every face....

but this still wouldn't work with specular lighting [which depends on
the location of the camera] and other textures mapped using normals
[reflection mapped textures, normal mapped textures, and ray
reflections]

>  As a bonus , that would be specially awesome as it would allow to bake
> all-around normal maps for your model. There are third party tools that let
> you create the all-around map, but with Blender you can only create the map
> as seen from a single point view.

what? you can bake tangent space normal maps just fine, except that
the normals on the edges of uv regions aren't correct [making seams
visible]