[Bf-funboard] 3DS Max now supports bump mapping!

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sun Dec 5 22:38:52 CET 2004

On 6 Dec 2004, at 4:44 AM, Martin Poirier wrote:

> --- Chris Burt <desoto at blender.spaceisbig.com> wrote:
>
>> Alex - I'm very surprised 3ds Max 7 claims to be the
>> first to do this...
>> perhaps they're using a very strict definition for
>> the term "major 3d
>> application." So far as I know Zbrush does this.
>
> They just use a very lax definition of "first".
> Like pretty much all PR team do for that matter.

ZBrush can be used to *generate* normal maps, but it doesn't have a
renderer, so unless any other 'major' apps can too, Discreet is right.
I imagine the big attraction for 3DS Max users is being able to render
out their game models for nice artistic shots, with all their detail
intact, since these days most of low poly models' details are in the
normal map.

Might I also add that I'm incredibly surprised it's taken this long for
both them (and us) to wake up and realise that normal maps can be
useful for more than just realtime - these techniques have been around
for years now.

Matt