[Bf-funboard] 3DS Max now supports bump mapping!

alex alex at schnittenparadies.de
Sun Dec 5 18:49:59 CET 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Chris Burt wrote:

> Alex - I'm very surprised 3ds Max 7 claims to be the first to do this...
> perhaps they're using a very strict definition for the term "major 3d
> application." So far as I know Zbrush does this.

See Desoto,

It's very funny - this was the first time I browsed the discreet site and the
section about MAX.

If I didn't know better, I would *definitely* never even consider buying that
software.

The site is full of meaningless buzzwords and "professional" and "industry-
leading" and "industry-standard", just like *every* "professional" site I've
come across.
They don't mention a single meaningful fact about their software anywhere.

If I didn't have Blender and would have to buy a software, I would probably
dismiss all the "professional" apps and sooner or later get to blender anyway,
where the site actually mentions MEANINGFUL details about the software.

This - again - supports my views on the abuse of the word "professional"
in general.. I have always and will always consider Blender the most
"professional" 3d application, because it fulfills all the meanings
of the word 'professional' for me:

  - An efficient interface (well, instinctive-blender more than Blender)
  - Information, not buzzwords
  - Speed and stability

All those 3 are probably worse in most so-called professional 3d apps :)

alex at schnittenparadies.de