[Bf-funboard] 3DS Max now supports bump mapping!

Chris Burt desoto at blender.spaceisbig.com
Sun Dec 5 18:41:18 CET 2004

The problem isn't that displacement is slow.. its that having the
geometry necessary to give displaced faces a smooth and detailed
appearance requires a huge amount of memory/CPU power. You can do very
fast displacement on meshes that don't have a great deal of faces, it
just doesn't look very good.

I agree with the sentiment that normal mapping, if added to blender,
would be one of the greatest advancements in the render engine since
subsurfs were added. The ability of normal maps to create *amazingly*
detailed renders is unmatched by bump mapping which really comes up
short in many situations. Should bump mapping be removed? Definitely
not.. its an indispensable feature that has advantages over normal
mapping. Mainly, creating normal maps is far more complex than creating
a simple bump map. The reasoning behind this statement:

The real kill app for normal mapping is building a high poly mesh and
then being able to extract all of the normal data for that mesh and put
it in 2D RGB form, which can then be applied as a normal map to a very
low poly version of the same mesh. i.e. Subsurf 6 mesh normal data
extracted and applied to a Subsurf 0 mesh. Thus, when rendered, the two,
with the exception of the profile of the mesh, appear to be almost
identical, at least in terms of shading quality.

Trip - I'm not sure you're right when you say normal maps give the
appearance that corners are shaded too... from what I can tell, normal
mapping, just like bump mapping, has absolutely no affect on the
appearance of geometry. It only affects texture and lighting. I could be
wrong but judging from the links you posted, I'm pretty sure this is the
case.

Alex - I'm very surprised 3ds Max 7 claims to be the first to do this...
perhaps they're using a very strict definition for the term "major 3d
application." So far as I know Zbrush does this.

--Chris