[Bf-funboard] Cutting the Stencil Mode chain

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:54:46 +0200 (CEST)

Or how about just changing the way Stencil works.

Much more flexibility, ease of use and setup could be
achieved by changing it into a more Photoshop-style
masking system. I.e. each texture layer has a mask
layer attached to it. Whatever you fill into that mask
layer will stencil the layer it is attached to.

Want to use the same stencil texture for two textures?
Just use the same texture datablock in both mask
layers.

In the UI, it could be implemented so that next to
each texture channel there would be a mask texture
channel.

This will, IMO, improve blenders texturing abilities
tenfold.

Now, if we could also use vertex painting as a texture
layer, it would also give the possobility to control a
textures visibility via vertex painting.

This leads me to the idea of having several vertex
painting channels, but this might be something for a
different proposal...

-William