[Bf-funboard] freezing layers...

alex bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:44:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Daniel Fairhead wrote:

>> And doesn't that give you even more flexibility than layer states?
>
> I don't think so. I just went and had a play with it now. It's called set, and is
> used from the little dropdown menu hidden in the Output panel of renderbuttons.
> All it allows is you to set another scene (something many users don't even know
> about, and I use about once a year...) as an immovable, unselectable backdrop.

"All it allows"? Isn't that exactly what has been requested?
Actually, SHIFT-G 4 A CTRL-L 1 <number-of-backdrop-scene> X Enter
does exactly that, it makes a whole layer unselectable. And you can
easily make a default "unselectable" Scene as Set in your .B.blend. I see
no need for added functionality. Use the tools that are there :)

> Unfortunately... thinking about this idea gives rise to others. For instance, how about
> a "Unselectable" toggle too? So you cannot even select those objects. Very useful
> when working on a scene with lights, floors, walls, etc, and you want to select just one
> tiny light-switch on a wall, without selecting anything else. A feature like that would save
> me much time.

See above. The "Set" feature gives that functionality.

> And how about a drawtype toggle per layer? You could set all objects on a layer to
> draw only in wireframe mode. Or in bounding-boxes, or whatever, so that while working
> on small details on layer 13, all objects on layer 4 (rooves and ceilings) are drawn only
> as outlines, without blocking the view from outside?

SHIFT-G 4 A D 2 CTRL-C 4.

> Many ideas, huh? All are possible, but are any practical? And what about that objects
> arent just "on" one layer?

Huh? What do you mean by the last question?

alex@schnittenparadies.de