[Bf-funboard] About weight painting

malefico andauer bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:41:01 -0300 (ART)

Hi,

I was working on a character which forced me to do a
very complex weight painting. I found that Tuhopuu had
a few nice things like report which vertex group a
vertex belong to by pressing NKEY. Great. It also
reports the weight in that group.

What I needed in that occasion was a tool to edit
vertex weights easily. Now, this Tuhopuu feature is
great, but you can't change the shown weight value for
the selected vertex. You have to go to the Vertex
Group panel in Edit buttons and change it there.

So, I wonder if this is possible/feasible to do:

1- Pressing NKEY (or whatever I'm not too political
about hotkeys ;-) ), let the user view/set the weight
of a vertex. This have been partially done in Tuhopuu.

2- A tool (more complex) to assign a weight
progression over a vertex loop, let's say, you select
a vertex loop , assign weights to the starting and
ending vertices, and then it would calculate the
linear/quadratic/whatever progression for the weights
of the remaining vertices. Maybe even assign weights
by texture ?

You may wonder why on earth #2 would be needed ?. It
is needed to better control deformations, to make the
mesh deform nicely in some situations like when having
other objects parented to the faces of the deformed
mesh (eg: feathers, mesh hair, etc). Currently you
must edit manually. It could be done by script I
guess.

Anyway, tell me what you think

Cheers.

malefico.