[Bf-funboard] OpenML and NLE

Timothy Baldridge bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:13:02 -0500

--Apple-Mail-2-738367202

	Yes I have. However, there are some issues I have with Jahshaka. =
At=20
least at the current time.

1. 	It is mainly a special effects program
2. 	No support for FireWire etc.
3. 	The lack of more advanced features found in FCP. For instance, =
the=20
ability to edit in low resolution (e.g. 320x240). But at=20
export/encoding time, the complete recapture of all video data at full=20=

resolution. Something like this is used extensively in the film=20
industry. Because it allows the producers of a program to edit on a low=20=

power computer (like a laptop), and then export the final product on=20
the main machine. An example of this is the TV show "Scrubs", which=20
uses FCP for this task.

	tbaldridge

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 08:30 AM, Jiri=AD Hnidek wrote:

> [...]
>
> 	http://www.jahshaka.org
> 	http://www.jahshaka.com
>
> It is Open Source real time non-linear video editing tool. It has=20
> support of OpenML, OpenGL and GPGPU. It is similar a little to Smoke=20=

> or Fire programs from Discreet.
>
> Jiri
>

>>     I know this has been touched on in the past, but I thought I'd=20
>> cover this one more time and see what everyone thought.
>>     The open source community is in need of a free NLE video program.=20=

>> Looking at blender it has many of the features needed to be used as a=20=

>> base for a program like Final Cut Pro, or Avid. I work with FCP on a=20=

>> regular basis, so here is what I think would need to be done to the=20=

>> sequencer to bring it up to speed.
>> (1) Better real-time support (it is slow compared to FCP)
>> (2) make it read all data from the HD instead of hogging memory via=20=

>> caching
>> (3) Rethink the timeline. Each clip should be able to be trimmed, and=20=

>> the user should be able to set IN/OUT points for each clip, in=20
>> addition to Blender storing information on what reel the tape came=20
>> from, the time-code, etc.
>> (4) Better effects engine, and integration with the timeline.=20
>> Basically this would allow effects to be on the same line as the clip=20=

>> they are modifying.
>> (5) Vector-scopes, Waveform viewers, etc.
>>     All the basic functionality is all ready in blender. the GUI, the=20=

>> File support, and the basic timeline. It just needs to be extended.=20=

>> Admittedly, Firewire would need to be added, but if we were to=20
>> integrate OpenML in Blender, it would allow us to not only to be=20
>> platform independent, but the entire video engine could then be=20
>> transparently hardware accelerated, as in OpenGL.
>>     I know this would mean expanding what blender's role in the past=20=

>> has been. However, the market would also expand.
>>     Some may be thinking why we just don't create a fork. Well, this=20=

>> could be done, but it would probably end up splitting the development=20=

>> community up, as well, as make things like GUI changes harder. We=20
>> don't want another Gimp/CinePaint type war (for those who know what I=20=

>> mean).
>>     Anyway, any ideas are welcome!
>>         tbaldridge

--Apple-Mail-2-738367202

	Yes I have. However, there are some issues I have with Jahshaka. =
At
least at the current time.

1. 	It is mainly a special effects program

2. 	No support for FireWire etc.

3. 	The lack of more advanced features found in FCP. For instance, =
the
ability to edit in low resolution (e.g. 320x240). But at
export/encoding time, the complete recapture of all video data at full
resolution. Something like this is used extensively in the film
industry. Because it allows the producers of a program to edit on a
low power computer (like a laptop), and then export the final product
on the main machine. An example of this is the TV show "Scrubs", which
uses FCP for this task.

	tbaldridge

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 08:30 AM,
wrote:

<excerpt>Hi,

have you ever heard about Jahshaka?:

	http://www.jahshaka.org

	http://www.jahshaka.com

It is Open Source real time non-linear video editing tool. It has
support of OpenML, OpenGL and GPGPU. It is similar a little to Smoke
or Fire programs from Discreet.

Jiri

<excerpt>    I know this has been touched on in the past, but I
thought I'd cover this one more time and see what everyone thought.

[...]

Bf-funboard mailing list

Bf-funboard@blender.org