[Bf-funboard] OpenML and NLE

Timothy Baldridge bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:42:14 -0500

	I know this has been touched on in the past, but I thought I'd cover
this one more time and see what everyone thought.

	The open source community is in need of a free NLE video program.
Looking at blender it has many of the features needed to be used as a
base for a program like Final Cut Pro, or Avid. I work with FCP on a
regular basis, so here is what I think would need to be done to the
sequencer to bring it up to speed.

(1) Better real-time support (it is slow compared to FCP)
(2) make it read all data from the HD instead of hogging memory via
caching
(3) Rethink the timeline. Each clip should be able to be trimmed, and
the user should be able to set IN/OUT points for each clip, in addition
to Blender storing information on what reel the tape came from, the
time-code, etc.
(4) Better effects engine, and integration with the timeline. Basically
this would allow effects to be on the same line as the clip they are
modifying.
(5) Vector-scopes, Waveform viewers, etc.

	All the basic functionality is all ready in blender. the GUI, the File
support, and the basic timeline. It just needs to be extended.
Admittedly, Firewire would need to be added, but if we were to
integrate OpenML in Blender, it would allow us to not only to be
platform independent, but the entire video engine could then be
transparently hardware accelerated, as in OpenGL.

	I know this would mean expanding what blender's role in the past has
been. However, the market would also expand.

	Some may be thinking why we just don't create a fork. Well, this could
be done, but it would probably end up splitting the development
community up, as well, as make things like GUI changes harder. We don't
want another Gimp/CinePaint type war (for those who know what I mean).

	Anyway, any ideas are welcome!

		tbaldridge