[Bf-funboard] Weighted sub surfs

Nathan Allworth bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:12:14 -0700

Since I'm not good with math I can't comment on viability, and thus my
ideas will tend to be quite linear in structure (maybe). Based on my
understanding of subsurfs, that a basic mesh is subdivided and smoothed
based on the location of the base mesh's vertices using the algorithm
"catmull-clark". This smoothing that takes place has to have a number
associated with it, a number of how much smoothing should take place on
that area of the mesh, or that mesh. Like 10%, 20% et cetera, so that
the code pulls and smooths the mesh. So my idea basically changes that
number (or localizes is by making that go to each vertex, instead of the
entire mesh) so it can pull the mesh more or less, so it acts in much
the same way as NURBS weights do.

I'm probably wrong about how it works, but If I'm not, is it possible to
implement it?

Thanks -nathan