[Bf-funboard] Object color proposal

The Fallen Weeble bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:22:35 -0400

Alright, here we go; I've got a color proposal.  Let's see what you guys
think and move on (notice: unless explicitly mentioned, other mode
colors remain the same).  If anything in this is unclear, please let me
know.  I'll be more than willing to generate a mock-up.

Non-editmode (wireframe)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Black
	Selected		Purple
	Active			Yellow
	Currently manipulated	White
	  (GKEY, SKEY, RKEY)

Non-editmode (shaded)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Shaded Object Color (SOC)
	Selected		SOC with Purple wireframe
	Active			SOC with Yellow wireframe
	Currently manipulated	SOC with White wireframe

Non-editmode (centerpoint)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Purple
	Selected		Yellow
	Active			White
	Currently manipulated	Tri-color

The proposal here is to show the cursor as a small XYZ axis oriented
with the object.  X, Y, and Z (the letters) are not shown on the axis
(although it might be a good candidate as an option - "Show XYZ" or
something).  The Tri-color for the centerpoint is the Red for X, Green
for Y, Blue for Z color axis we've seen in other applications (note, I
may have associated the wrong color with the wrong axis, but you get the
idea).

Editmode (Edges)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Black
	Selected		Yellow
	Currently manipulated	White

Editmode (Vertices)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Purple
	Selected		Yellow
	Currently manipulated	White

The reason Selected edges and vertices are Yellow, as opposed to Purple
in this mode, is because there's (correct me if I'm wrong) no real sense
of a separate Active state in Editmode.

Editmode (Faces)
	State			Color (transparent)

	Non-selected		Blue
	Selected		Purple
	Currently manipulated	Yellow

The only real change here is the addition of the "Currently manipulated"
state color.  It might also be a good idea to show centers for RKEY
manipulations, but that is really a different topic.

Editmode (centerpoint)
	State			Color

	Non-selected		Purple
	Selected		Yellow
	Currently manipulated	Tri-color

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently the centerpoint is not selectable
in editmode and, unless all vertices are selected, is rarely ever really
used.  It would be nice to be able to select and manipulate the
centerpoint while in editmode.  I understand the danger of accidentally
manipulating the centerpoint when you do not intend to, but with the
newly proposed look for the centerpoint, that kind of accident would be
less likely to happen.

That's it.  Like I said, if you guys require mock-ups to make everything
clear, I can do that.  Otherwise, this is my proposal.  If you like it,
lets take it and move on.

Later.

  Groo