[Bf-funboard] Default material, lamp, and camera types in .B.blend

Robert Wenzlaff bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:33:39 -0400

I played with this this morning and I got materials working, it shouldn't
be hard to extend it to Lamps and Cameras.  Due to their nature, I don't
think it's appropriate for Textures, (and might already work if the default
material has the default texture linked).

I have it set up so that the first material saved in the .B.blend file,
becomes the default material  for "Add New".  This is more important now
that we have multiple shaders, as you can set the default type.  If you
like cameras with wide angle lenses and show limits on, save one, etc.

I read an article that went through many of the big commercial renderers
and said basically, "Maya' materials look like plastic.  Lightwave's look
like metal...  But really this is all because of the app' s default
settings.  User's tweak things until they look good enough.  If they start
with metal, they'll end up looking at least a little bit metally."    So
let's make the laziness work for us.  If you're doing a toon, save a
.B.blend with a default toon shader...

Thoughts?  Any other object types this would apply to?