[Bf-funboard] Texture painting proposal final. Only text. (Douglas Bischoff)

car bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:37:23 -0400

> Say, I think you're onto something here. Maybe some of us missed this
> key point before. Let me see if I understand this part correctly.
> Here's a sample workflow.
>
> * Enter Face Select Mode, have a UV window "canvas" open (say, in a
> window next to the model in face select mode)
> * Select ONE face. (or more, whatever)
> * Request a UV mapping as normal (using the U key). This brings up
> Blender's "so far" best guess on whatever your mapping is. If it's a
> good starting point, proceed. If not, narrow it down until you get a
> good start. Even if that's just one face mapped "to window."
> * Start painting with the "mapping brush." This tool would be in the UV
> mapping (Image) window, and could be a simple brush with very few
> parameters (RGB, alpha, size, hardness of edge)
> * If your painting stroke goes beyond the edge of a face, Blender
> AUTOMATICALLY FIGURES WHAT MESH FACE IS ADJACENT TO THE EDGE YOU JUST
> LEFT AND AUTOMATICALLY ADDS IT TO THE UV UNWRAPPING VIA "NORMAL"
> MAPPING.
>
> This method, in combination with the other existing mapping projections
> and the ability to add more and more faces using a combination of
> techniques, would enable very fast unwrapping of even complex shapes.
>
> Is this kind of what we're talking about here, or is this different?
>
> -Bischofftep

Yes in a way this could be the method to use the idea. If it easy
enough for you to implement. Then go for it.

But my thoughts were like this.

* Create mesh
* Go to UV texture window. Select the texture paint button in the 3d
window. Start painting. Unseen at the beginning
  of painting is the command "Special method UV unwrap" .
Or in other words. Just by pressing the paint button it send the UV
unrap math into the program.
* Now for the fun part. load a texture into the texture window.
* Select the clone brush in the paint window, and select a starting
point in the texture window that begins the area where the texture
comes from
* Paint on mesh
* Ooo And Aww at your marvelous masterpiece

> AUTOMATICALLY FIGURES WHAT MESH FACE IS ADJACENT TO THE EDGE YOU JUST
> LEFT AND AUTOMATICALLY ADDS IT TO THE UV UNWRAPPING VIA "NORMAL"
> MAPPING
Yes that part is also in there.

The code can come from the highly established GIMP.  Or wherever you
may find it.