[Bf-funboard] Re: Blender UI redesign doc

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:17:13 +0200

t_w_@freenet.de (2003-09-22 at 1642.45 +0200):
> > This is true for a User Interface if and only if the application
> > is running in full screen mode.  Not always the case.
> It's true no matter what application is running in what ever state. Screen
> corners don't move:-b

Yeah... except when screen corners have other owner (always or
sometimes). :P

> But true, putting things of importance into the corners of the blender window
> could be a problem, if blender is not in fullscreen mode. Could make target areas
> large enough even without corner-support. Even than those target areas could'nt be
> reached fast enough for them beeing far away from the main action.

I think MacOS "eats" top border, and maybe bottom one too in version
X. MSWindows all. And dunno about others, GNOME & KDE desktops "eat"
all four, I believe. Except of course if full screen means something
like video players, no titlebars, no menubars, no docks. Then the
problem becomes changing to other apps, and how happy user will be
with that behavior. Not so easy, expecially for a multiplataform app.

> However, for all kinds of icon- and menubars it would be wise to put them at screen
> edges whereever and whenever possible.

I wonder why not make more things via SPACE with modifiers (could
somebody make a list of what SPACE and modifiers do in each OS so we
can discard those that under OS control?). Under pointer is even
faster.

As I see, order of things by importance should be under, corners,
sides and the rest. And note that "feedback only" or "feedback and
rarelly used as input" has less priority than "input mostly" when
talking about which place it deserves.

GSR