[Bf-funboard] Why not a new default scene

Landis Fields bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:24:48 -0000

Ton,

> This is default behaviour for the splash. If you don't want to see it,
> you only have to press CTRL+U after startup.
>
> We choose this behaviour so that each current user will always see the
> splash once at least. Marketing you know! We can add an advertisement
> to it! :)

Hmmmm....I dont think this is a good idea at all...especially at a time where
Blender REALLY needs to establish itself among the 3D community. Nearly every
graphics and non graphics application I have has a splash screen that comes
up for atleast 2 seconds upon launch. This, many times, has caught the eye of
my friends who are standing by waiting for me to show them something I have
made....they then ask me "Blender...is that what that said?"...they then go
tell everyone else that I use a 3d program called Blender to create a 3d
character that looks like an AIRMAN! In myoppinion this is one of the best
forms of advertisement and it should not be able to be bypassed. As CRAZY as
this may sound, just by someone seeing that splash screen, they will commit
that to memory and if the time comes when they are asked about what 3d
programs there are available, they are going to say the ne that they saw
their friend using. Anyways, if this doesnt happen with you guys as much then
atleast consider the fact that it is very proffessional and almost the
standard if you ask me, to have a splash announcing the name of the
application, its release number (version 2.28), and perhaps thier slogan with
some nice graphic (refer to adobe photoshop).

Take care,

Cheers,
Landis