[Bf-funboard] Saving User Settings

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:25:47 -0500

I like the ideas others expressed about including some default screen setups, especially
the aspect of using more descriptive identifiers than screen.001, etc.

Here is something that kind of annoys me about "CTRL-U" - Save User Defaults.

When I first came upon that command, don't remember how that happened, what I
expected it to do was save the UI settings and setup that I had rearranged and was
comfortable with as the default.  That is a handy function.

After using it I noticed some strange things.  If I went to File > New, it would ask me if I
want to Erase All, and I would select yes - and then my screen would refresh with this
old model of mine in the workspace.  Also everytime I opened Blender that same model
would be there. I would wonder "where did that come from", and for quite a while
assumed it was just a Blender bug.  I eventually realized that the CTRL-U apparently
saved EVERYTHING about the current state including the current model.

Personally I think that is kind of confusing.  Maybe it is just me.  But personally I would
find it more useful to be able to set the default settings / screen layout WITHOUT
importing the current model as well.

What do others think?
Sincerely,

Justin Pease