an idea for the mousewheel... Re: [Bf-funboard] few requests.

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:57:08 +1000

> Hi,
>
> It is already mixed in Blender:
> - in fileselect window it doesn't, scroll is logical there
> - in fact, in any real 2D window scroll for mousewheel is logical
Yeah, it is logical for a vertical mousewheel to vertically scroll
something. Though not so obvious that it horizontally scrolls something.
(though shift-mousewheel vertically scrolls things)
Maybe the mousewheel could be used to move through the panel groups/icons,
like how the mousewheel is used in games to change through the weapons at
high-speed. Each little "click" on the wheel could take you to the next
group and it could wrap-around (once you go past the last or first item it
starts again). If this isn't the mousewheel funciton, maybe it could be the
alt-mousewheel function (only ctrl-mw, shift-mw and mw are used)

> Zooming in buttonswindow is something you should not do often, only
> while configuring the interface. Once it is configured, and you select
> some stuff that opens too many panels, the mousewheel then is first
> choice to scroll to the right Panel. I got used to it quickly.
Or if the panel size was automatically optimized (auto-homekey press +
auto-arrange) you wouldn't even need to worry about that.... my point is
that there are other ways of getting around the problem of too many panels
being shown... using the mousewheel is only a temporary solution really... I
mean once you've moved the panels across to get to panels on the right,
you've just hidden the ones on the left and have to scroll back to get to
them again. But assuming there is no auto-arranging and resizing of panels
or users don't combine or minimize panels, or press "home", or + and -
(assuming they were implemented to zoom the menus, like they used to be), I
guess the next easiest solution would be to scroll the panels back and
forth.
- Luke.