[Bf-funboard] William's ideas

David Cuny bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:07:02 -0700

Matt Ebb wrote:

> As mentioned before, grab, rotate, scale are all dependent on the mouse
> pointer's position. Try using the grab/rotate/scale options in the pre 2.3
> menus and you'll see how awful it is using it from a fixed position.
> A solution could be to warp the pointer to near the object's location, or
> to the center of the window, or something, when the option is selected
> but that could be annoying.

As you mentioned, warping the pointer is often really irritating, but in this
case I think it's probably the best solution. It might also be helpful if
there were some other indicator that made it obvious the pointer was being
warped (unfortunately, sound FX aren't an option), or people are going to
complain that the pointer disappears when they select the options.

The Mac Classic used to have this effect where a folder would "grow" when it
was selected - perhaps you could do the opposite effect and shrink the
pointer from 10x it's size down to the normal size, so it was obvious what's
happening.

That's a lot of work for commands that are already available through keys, but
if the options are going into the menu, without warping the mouse it's pretty
useless.

-- David Cuny