tabs, icons, organisation Re: [Bf-funboard] Lots of cool ideas on how to improve consitancy, ease of use ect. (with mockups)

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:47:26 +1000

> > Proposal 4 - use tabs whereever possible
> > http://www.shadeless.dk/request4.jpg
>
> I like the icons. All the same size, making the interface look more
balanced.
> Also some contrast between the different levels of organzation is healthy.

For my idea the icons are coloured according to their group. (Rather than
there being an icon to switch into each group, sometimes meaning 2 clicks)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/coloured-buttons2.gif

For the proposed actual icon order, see:
http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-funboard/2003-October/001128.html
(And sometimes only 10 icons would be needed, rather than 11 - e.g. the
Materials icon isn't used when a lamp is selected and it switches to the
Lamp buttons anyway.... and maybe other icons aren't always relevant
(besides the lamp and editing icons))

> But I also must say that tabs with text-labels make for larger target
areas
> and the labels make clear what is meant.

Tooltips for icons can do this - and tooltips can involve multiple words.

> Then again icons are faster recognized and help navigating the interface.

This is roughly what it would look like to have tabbed icons: (my same pic -
based on tuhopuu)
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/coloured-buttons2.gif
The tab edges could be rounded more, etc. Note that this takes up less space
when 2.29 is in the shader icon category.

- Luke.