[Bf-funboard] I guess i will suggest It

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:34:13 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry I think you missed my point too.

 --- Selso DaSilva <selsobleny@yahoo.com> wrote: >
Sorry i think  you missed my point, I love blender
> just the way it is now. The new UI would require me
> buy a new system to run all this kool stuff.

No, you won't! Who says Blender is going to be slower?
I think it will be possible to turn of gradients in
the buttons ect. if that is what you are refferring
to.

> > The new UI design is first and foremost designed
> > add flexibility as well as ease of use while not
> > comprimizing functionlity. Only secondly to make
> >it
> > look better.
>
> Yes but ease of use and look and feel are very
> similar, one will have to intersect the other.

Yeah, which was partly my point. We are getting a more
logical and easy to understand interface. But what we
also get is a nicer looking and feeling one as well.
Sorry I can't see the bad side of this.

> > I agree it would be cool to be able to add full
> > skins
> > that emulated other programs, but really, if we
> made
> > just one, easy to use, easy to understand, easy to
> > learn, flexible, customizable and good looking
> > interface we wouldn't need to be able to make
> > specialized skins.
>
> it would be more than cool, you will have the
> ability
> to adapt to its user. No matter which software or
> platform they came from.

The real question is: What would you trade for this?
We could choose to not spend time on improving the
current interface, but rather to add skins that look
like other interfaces. I am quite confident that
making complete skins that emutale how other programs
work would be a huge job.

Also, when adding new features i see problems arising
with skin compatibility, and it would be harder to
manage code contributions, again because of skin
compatibility.
My point was that it is better to make one perfect UI
than making it possible to have hundreds.
Also regarding tutorials, questions aor answers in the
QandA forom, help, feedback and bugs I see alot of
problems coming.

But if it IS infact easy to implement and maintain it
could be feasable. Lets hear from the programmers!

>> I have suggested that we add more screen presets
>> though - which can't hurt - for more preset layout
>> schemes. You can actually get surprisingly close to
>> Flash MX or Sofimage layout style.
>
>More presets less space to work, and more memory
being
>used. If you make the presets, modular, allowing it
>load only if the user wants it. This would keep
>blender simple, small and fast, features i have grown
>to love within Freedom software (aka free software)

Screen Presets don't use any memory. They are part of
the b.blend file.

Come on! Adding a few more preset screens won't
suddenly double the size of Blender! Maybe it will add
like 8 bytes or something. I agree it would be cool to
have several default Blenderfiles though.

By the way, the main reason Blender is so fast is not
due to the buttons (you say that the buttons in
Blender do not hog memory as opposed to other
programs), but, if anything specific, rather the lack
of an undo function. I don't think the buttons are any
more memory sparing than they are in Max, Maya,
Softimage or Photoshop.

I'm not saying you must agree with every improvement
in the new UI - I don't always agree. But don't just
write it off as being a slower, prettier, less
simple(Will be much simpler to understand than old
Blender) version of Blender.

Come on, be a little positive on the work that has
been done! Alot of people are working to improve
Blender, making it easier to learn for new users,
while optimizing things for older ones too. It takes
atleast a year for a regular person to get to grips
with Blender more or less fully (After three years I
still discover new features). A year is a VERY long
time to learn an application. If we can bring this
time down, while also making it more possible for
existing users to find features is a good thing. Do
you know the shortcut to straightening the IPO curve
handles? In the future you won't need to because of
the new UI incorporating menus in all the windows.
Great! A good improvement.

I love Blender with all my heart too, but that doesn't
mean it can't get any better.

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan