[Bf-funboard] Updated panels style

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:47:00 +1000

Hi,
I think the one in the Windows binary (notab.png) is probably better. I mean
it is pretty obvious that you can only drag the single panel using the
titlebar. And it is good that the upper-right corner of the combined panel
is the same colour as the titlebar/header of the single panels - so people
could guess that that part is used to move the whole combined panel.

I notice that there's some feedback when you drag a panel on top of
another... this could be more obvious - e.g. a thicker border around it. I
think the thickness of the border when you're dragging a panel should also
be increased. And I think the colours should be customizable in the "Themes"
section. Currently one reuses the "Text Hilite" colour (should be "Text
Highlight") and the other uses black (it doesn't appear to be customizable).

It seems to be easier to join panels now. (You don't need to perfectly cover
one panel with the other) I think the threshold between combining and not
combining panels should be changed a bit so that it is even to combine them.

I've suggested before that if you click and drag a non-active tab, it should
let you drag that sub-panel.... Assuming that Blender is made to ignore
small drags, I think that should happen.

Currently it seems you can't change the order of the tabs at all... they
seem to always be the default order. I think it would be good if tabs could
be dragged *within* the panel (so that the panel orders change). And if you
drag a tab to the left, either it would become a separate panel (on the left
of the first panel), or it should swap places with the tab to its left.
(Same with when you drag it right - it would either become a separate panel
on the right, or swap with the tab on its right)

Currently when you're dragging a tab away to make it a separate panel,
things aren't very slick. I think if the drag is small, it could be ignored.
If the drag is large enough (and assuming you can't rearrange tabs within
the combined panel), and the drag is to the left, the other panel should
jump to the right (or down, etc). And if you drag the tab to the right, the
other panel could remain where it is, allowing you to continue dragging
right (or down) and putting the dragged panel after the first one.
- Luke.