[Bf-funboard] Radio buttons / button colour organisation & colour customization

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:24:52 +1000

Hi,
I think these things are in the scope for 2.30....
Firstly, just to repeat, I think the radio buttons (sets of toggle buttons
where exactly one is always pushed down) should be bunched together with a
minimal boundary.
Here:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/consistent-colours.png
I bunched up the plane/sphere/cube icons, Col/Spe/Mir, RGB/HSV/DYN and (osa)
5/8/11/16, 100%/75%/50%/25%.
BW/RGB/RGBA, DispView/DispWin, and Sky/Premul/Key should also be bunched up,
probably same with the texture channel buttons. The render window position
should maybe be included, though it currently doesn't function like a set of
radio buttons.
Comments?
Secondly, about the organisation of button colours.
At the moment, it seems that the orangey buttons are called "BUT_SALMON",
and the teal buttons are called "BUT_GREEN". i.e. the button colours are
referred to by their original colour. So if you changed the "BUT_SALMON"
colour to black, it would still have the same name.

Here's my suggestion for the button colour names and the current values in
Blender 2.29
(see a screenshot of Blender 2.29)
http://www.kino3d.com/images/shot-1.png

Colour Category, Original Setting (in words)
(TogBut1OnBg or)
ToggleButtonPrimaryEnableBg - dark teal
(TogBut1OffBg or)
ToggleButtonPrimaryEnableText - white
ToggleButtonPrimaryDisableBg - light teal
ToggleButtonPrimaryDisableText - black
ToggleButtonSecondaryEnableBg - dark grey
ToggleButtonSecondaryEnableText - white
ToggleButtonSecondaryDisableBg - light grey
ToggleButtonSecondaryDisableText - black

ActionButtonPrimaryBg - orangey
ActionButtonPrimaryText - black
ActionButtonSecondaryBg - light grey
ActionButtonSecondaryText - black

(special togglebuttons, actionbuttons, sliders, etc)
SpecialButtonBg = pale purple
SpecialButtonText = black

(sliders, etc)
GenericButtonBg = grey
GenericButtonText = black

((Number/Textfield) TextBoxPassiveBg or)
TextBoxInactiveBg - dark grey
TextBoxInactiveText - white (or black?)
etc.

That should give you a basic idea about what I'm talking about. The
secondary action and toggle button colours aren't really necessary... they
could be defined in the user's "GenericButtonBg" and "GenericButtonText"
colours. On the other hand, allowing the user to have independent secondary
colours for action and toggle buttons allows them to do things like this:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/consistent-colours.png
Basically all the action buttons are one colour, and all the toggle buttons
are another colour. (And I got rid of purple - though you wouldn't be able
to do that since the special control colour would apply to all of the
affected controls [sliders, action/toggle buttons, etc]). Or the user could
make the primary and secondary action button background colours similar (but
not identical), and same with the toggle buttons. It takes a while to get
used to, but some users might like it.
Comments are welcome....

- Luke.