OSA and AA....Re: [Bf-funboard] Re: Remove doubles, sorry Kent

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:53:09 +1000

> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 11:58 pm, Luke Wenke wrote:
> > Same with MBLUR. Since MBLUR isn't called "motion blur + filtering" then
AA
> > could simply be AA. The tooltip could say "Renders with antialiasing and
> > texture filtering" (or similar).
>
> The filtering is just a side effect of having more samples to average.
Has
> nothing to do with MBlur at all really.

BTW, "filtering" in blender is similar to blurring really... so if you
increase the image texture "filtering" value, the image becomes blurrier
(and it also adjusts how quickly the mipmapping levels are shown I think...)
There is also "interpolation" which works out the in-between texel values,
like normal 3D cards.

When OSA and MBLUR are disabled, image texture filtering and interpolation
seem to be disabled. So if you look at an enlarged image texture rendered
without OSA or MBLUR, it will look really pixelated... like when you get
close to a wall in old 3D games like Doom or Wolfenstein 3D. On the other
hand, if you enable MBLUR, you can press F12 and watch it render a frame,
and every single sample will have filtering and interpolation on (assuming
they're also enabled in the material buttons). (You can see each MBLUR
sample render in the rendering window)

So basically I'm saying that MBLUR (even on its own) enables the same
texture filtering that OSA does. So MBLUR actually does something more than
do motion blurring - yet it is simply names "MBLUR". Therefore, even if the
proposed AA (or "Antialiasing") button does more than antialias the renders,
by taking multiple samples, it could still be simply called AA or
Antialiasing (rather than OSA).

- Luke.