[Bf-funboard] Re: UI Taxonomy

Erik Lundberg bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:41:07 +1000 (EST)

TWIMC

I recieve the digest. Sorry if I'm out of date.

-----------------------
> Getting a set of guidelines determined now will save us a lot of headache.
> With a good set of guidelines established, well over half of the
> discussions here wouldn't be happening.
> 1)What does it do?
> 2)Based on what it does, where does it *categorically* fit in terms of the
guidelines?
> 3)Now that we know where it belongs, how do we put it there.

I propose developing a UI taxonomy. Someone in the last digest had the beginings of
something like that. Making explicit selection criteria for each level of heirachy
would assist rational discussion as to the location of new features.

----------------------
> 1) Consistancy
> 2) Workflow
> 3) Grouping

I agree, but I wouldn't place workflow so highly. As nice as things like solid-edge are
for industrial engineers. I think that providing tools in a consistent way and grouping
them logically is more useful for creative people. Workflow changes so much depending
upon the project you're working on. Most workflow is iterative anyway.

----------------------
&
> > Is there any way of recalling what the weight of a group was? Also, I can
> > assign the weight 0 to a group... it stops the armature affecting the
> > vertices but I can still select that group in edit mode.

I prefer a pre-picking system for assigning values. I'm not a programmer. Tell me if
I'm dreaming. Here's the general gist of what I mean.
-If you select a collection of points, then the weight level of the points is
displayed.
-If points with different weight levels are selected then no weight is displayed.
-If the weight level is changed whilst points are selected then "apply" is assumed.

> > 3, http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons2_filldivide.jpg
While option 1 has the cleanest lines, I think option 3 reads far better.
I vote for option three with the darker borders slimmed down to just the
width of the rounded edge. Does my vote count?

Erik