[Bf-funboard] Buttons organisation guidelines

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:30:22 +1000

> > It seems to me that greying out buttons is in fact part of the scope...
> Not on a technical level. As far as I know, it'll take a lot of work to
get
> that working  - too much to have done by the 2.3 release. Of course work
on
> the UI doesn't stop with version 2.3, but we can at least get most of the
> structure in place now so further changes won't be so disorienting.

What about all those things mentioned near the bottom here: ?
http://www.blender.org/docs/UI/ui_redesign2.html
They seem like a lot of work to implement for version 2.3 too... or maybe
they're not really part of the scope...?
(I don't really understand the scope.)

> "When it's not possible to cleanly separate buttons into different panels,
> we can at least try to group things that way within the panel"
> I'm trying to think of some rules for grouping things together, rather
than
> just putting them in randomly.
>
> i.e. Looking at William's mockup i.e. "why is the 'Weight:' grouped with
> 'Assign' and 'Remove' and how can we create rules for this grouping to
apply
> consistently throughout all the panels? The aim is for consistency and
> structure. Even if it's not immediately apparent, people get used to these
> sorts of things, and it helps to build familiarity and makes the system
more
> predictable if people find things where they expect them to be. If we
don't
> have consistent rules for where things get placed, it just becomes like
the
> current buttons windows where people have to hunt all over the screen to
try
> and find a button (that may not even be there) that they're looking for.
Yeah...

> The idea of separating 'tools' and 'settings' is one I came up with, that
> seems like a relatively logical distinction to make. If you have a
proposal,
> please air it, but we need at least some sort of structure to this (which
is
> more specific than just putting related things together) to order things
> consistently and efficiently.
"Tools" and "settings" sounds like a good idea... but sometimes it may be a
bit subjective as to what category a thing fits under. But still, I like the
idea.
But beyond the tools and settings idea there is the problem of how to
further organise the edit buttons.  (and the other buttons in other tabs
("context groups"))

- Luke.