merge/weld and osa Re: [Bf-funboard] Reorganising the EditButtons

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:17:52 +1000

> Maya says 'merge', we say 'remove doubles', 3dmax says 'weld'. I bet
> other programs have its terminology as well. Here personal taste,
> opinions and conventions play roles.
>
> This is the reason why a thorough renaming process is hard, doubtful,
> and almost impossible to find a cross-program compliance for.
I think the most important thing is the names are very clear and accurate,
and/or are used in some other programs. On that basis, "merge" and "weld"
are perhaps fairly equal and "Rem Doubles" is a lot worse. Firstly "Rem
doubles" is long and can't really be abbreviated - while merge and weld are
very short. And "Rem doubles" suggests it is talking about pairs of vertices
that are at the same position. In fact, it can be used to merge/weld dozens
or hundreds of vertices. (I use it for that purpose mostly) BTW, it would be
good if its maximum value could be increased... e.g. to 1000 or more. So
though it isn't clear whether merge or weld is better, I think it is quite
clear that that name should be changed. BTW, it would be good if the
resultant position of the remaining vertices were in the average position of
the merged/welded vertices, rather than being at the exact position of one
of the merged/welded vertices.

> There were good reasons for a lot of uncommon names in Blender. I
> currently just don't have time to go over all of it. Or explain why it
> was 'OSA' and not 'Antialiasing'.
I guess it was an abbreviation for "oversampling". Well it doesn't really
matter why the old names were chosen.... what matters is what people should
think they should be, and I think most people would like it to be
anti-aliasing. (This can be shortened to "AA")

> If you look at the open issues of the entire funboard agenda, including
> the UI project, we have loadsof things we work at. Shouldn't we
> prioritize?
I don't think it would take very much time to work out the OSA thing... (or
"Rem Doubles")

- Luke.