[Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:12:30 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Reynish" <wreynish@yahoo.dk>
To: <bf-funboard@blender.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 7:41 PM
Subject: [Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

> ....The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially useful while
in Vertical mode)so that you >can concentrate on certain aspects and make
more room for what you are concentrating on.
So that's what those arrows next to the group names are for...! I'm not sure
if I'd use that feature ever though.

> I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the list of
changes:
> Odd > Upper
Note that by default odd is deselected... i.e. it is lower field first.

> X > Time difference
> These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that 'X' meant
disabling the time
> difference in Field rendering? Calling the button 'Time difference' seems
more logical.
Tooltips were the answer... but anyway, if the name was changed, the code
would need to be changed too, since that button worked in an inverted way
compared to "X".

> I have made a new Level numberbutton for Motionblur so that you can chose
the Motionblur level
> independantly from Anti-aliasing.
Cool....the arrows suggest that the AA/MBLUR levels are arbitrary.... it
would be good if they were. To make things backwards compatible there could
be code like this:

when loading blend files:
if (AA_setting doesn't exist) AA_setting = OSAMBLUR_setting
if (MBLUR_setting doesn't exist) MBLUR_setting = OSAMBLUR_setting

when saving blend files:
if (AA is enabled and MBLUR is enabled) OSAMBLUR_setting = the closest
setting of 5,8,11,16 to MBLUR_setting. ?
if (only MBLUR is enabled) OSAMBLUR_setting = the closest setting of
5,8,11,16 to MBLUR_setting.
if (only AA is enabled) OSAMBLUR_setting = the closest setting of 5,8,11,16
to AA_setting.
if (AA and MBLUR are disabled) OSAMBLUR_setting = the closest setting of
5,8,11,16 to AA_setting or MBLUR setting ?.

BTW, the comma for the decimal point could be confusing for people of
certain nationalities, such as Australians (me).

> You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, Motionblur and
Fields buttons are
>animated to show how it will look when they are depressed. The settings for
each button should
>only be active when it is depressed, so that it is clear to the user that
the settings are relevant to the
>button it belongs to.
If "Panorama" is enabled, Yparts (Y) actually becomes disabled (it must be
equal to 1). And if Panorama is disabled, Xparts and Yparts actually do have
a function...(though it seems quite useless to me)  they cause the image to
be broken up into little pieces, and the final size of the image is SizeX by
SizeY. With Panorama, the final size is Xparts * SizeX by SizeY.

> My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by just
leftclicking on them. You
>could always click the arrows to move the number up or down.
That gets rid of the possibility to click and drag the number button to
rapidly change it though... (though that method isn't very useful though
since it jumps around to unusual numbers) Maybe it is better to change
things how you suggested.

- Luke.