[Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:06:50 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the work you do, however... I gave an extensive review of =20
your first proposal, and don't see anything from it back...

I realize that having fixed width panels limits logical design quite =20
some. Nevertheless, it remains the purpose that a vertical layout =20
should look nice too.

Please check on my comments first! I've pasted it below, please not =20
that this is about your first mockup.

-----------paste----------------

There's an important issue still, and that's if we stick with fixed =20
sizes of the Panels. To enable both vertical and horizontal layout =20
aligning nicely.

My proposal would be to have a standard horizontal layout first, =20
divided in 4 panels of 320 width. This then will give compatibility =20
with older releases, and allows a nice vertical layout too.

If really needed, we can make a fifth/sixth panel by default 'tabbed' =20=

in an other one.

For your version, you only have to put the 'Other' panel in the =20
remaining panels...

- "Extensions" belongs in in the first Panel
- "Play animation" as well
- "dispwin" and "dispview" should be in "Render" panel
- "Rt" is a debug button for coders only... put it somewhere!

Then:
- What is the "Save animation" option?
- anti and mblur remain using 5-8-11-16 samples, no slider
- I can live with renaming OSA into "Antialiasing, but I'd like to hear =20=

others about it. It's a bit history here you know! :)
- "Play Rendered" can remain "Play" (it plays anything, also not =20
rendered). Tooltips should be used to explain further info, a button =20
name is a reminder.
- title for first panel is incorrect

Design:
It looks like you used the "uiAutoBlock" function, which spreads =20
buttons out in a box. This doesnt always give good design... things =20
that belong together can be put together.
Inside a Panel, the order of buttons seems not to be logical...

-Ton-

On Saturday, Oct 11, 2003, at 11:41 Europe/Amsterdam, William Reynish =20=

wrote:

> Due to=A0a few=A0drawbacks of my RenderButtons mock-up=A0on the =
Blender =20

--
Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton@blender.org =20
http://www.blender.org