[Bf-funboard] New Logical Renderbuttons Layout

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:41:19 +0200 (CEST)

--0-1087052149-1065865279=:77118

Due to a few drawbacks of my RenderButtons mock-up on the Blender Funboard ealier, I have updated and changed it a bit. Here it is:

http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif

All the buttons have been organised into groups. In this case, there are 6 groups; Save, Options, Render, Other, Format and Presets. This makes it much easier for the user to make sence of the buttons. It is now clear that Quality has to do with saving, and that Width and Height has to do with the frame size.
The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially useful while in Vertical mode)so that you can concentrate on certain aspects and make more room for what you are concentrating on.

I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the list of changes:
Odd > Upper
X > Time difference
OSA > Anti-aliasing
Play > Play Movie
These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that 'X' meant disabling the time difference in Field rendering? Calling the button 'Time difference' seems more logical. Anti-aliasing is a common name for removing the aliasing in images. This term is used in photoshop, Maya, XSI, and countless other programs - having it called OSA just confuses people. Then, ofcourse thereis the Upper-Lower/Even-Odd discusssion, and I think that Upper and Lower are more widely used. I changed the Play button to Play Movie because it should be clear that it is playing the movie. I also added the Show Image button so that you could have the last rendered image shown (the same as pressing F11). This seemed logical, because Play Movie and Show Image are related buttons - having one as just a hotkey and the other in the RenderButtons is wierd.
I have made a new Level numberbutton for Motionblur so that you can chose the Motionblur level independantly from Anti-aliasing.

You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, Motionblur and Fields buttons are animated to show how it will look when they are depressed. The settings for each button should only be active when it is depressed, so that it is clear to the user that the settings are relevant to the button it belongs to.

My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by just leftclicking on them. You could always click the arrows to move the number up or down.

Tell me what you think!
-Monkeyboi (William)

PS
I'm working on giving the EditButtons the same treatment. I should be finished soon.. I planning on doing roughly the same to all the Buttonwindows.

PPS
Changes since the last post are:

Button options (like under Anti-aliasing) has changed appearence
The percent buttons are not a slider anymore
Added Show image
Changed odd/even to Upper/Lower
Added Level Setting for Motionblur

------------
Yahoo! Mail - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan
--0-1087052149-1065865279=:77118

<DIV>Due to&nbsp;a few&nbsp;drawbacks of my RenderButtons mock-up&nbsp;on the Blender Funboard ealier, I have updated and changed it a bit. Here it is:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif">http://www.shadeless.dk/renderbuttons.gif</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>All the buttons have been organised into groups. In this case, there are 6 groups; Save, Options, Render, Other, Format and Presets. This makes it much easier for the user to make sence of the buttons. It is now clear that Quality has to do with saving, and that Width and Height has to do with the frame size.<BR>The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially useful while in Vertical mode)so that you can concentrate on certain aspects and make more room for what you are concentrating on.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the list of changes:</DIV>
<DIV>Odd &gt; Upper<BR>X &gt; Time difference<BR>OSA &gt; Anti-aliasing<BR>Play &gt; Play Movie</DIV>
<DIV>These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that 'X' meant disabling the time difference in Field rendering? Calling the button 'Time difference' seems more logical. Anti-aliasing is a common name for removing the aliasing in images. This term is used in photoshop, Maya, XSI, and countless other programs - having it called OSA just confuses people. Then, ofcourse thereis the Upper-Lower/Even-Odd discusssion, and I think that Upper and Lower are more widely used. I changed the Play button to Play Movie because it should be clear that it is playing the movie. I also added the Show Image button so that you could have the last rendered image shown (the same as pressing F11). This seemed logical, because Play Movie and Show Image are related buttons - having one as just a hotkey and the other in the RenderButtons is wierd. </DIV>
<DIV>I have made a new Level numberbutton for Motionblur so that you&nbsp;can chose the Motionblur level independantly&nbsp;from Anti-aliasing.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, Motionblur and Fields buttons are animated to show how it will look when they are depressed. The settings for each button should only be active when it is depressed, so that it is clear to the user that the settings are relevant to the button it belongs to.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by just leftclicking on them. You could always click the arrows to move the number up or down.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tell me what you think!</DIV>
<DIV>-Monkeyboi (William)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PS<BR>I'm working on giving the EditButtons the same treatment. I should be finished soon.. I planning on doing roughly the same to all the Buttonwindows.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PPS</DIV>
<DIV>Changes since the last post are:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Button options (like under Anti-aliasing) has changed appearence</DIV>
<DIV>The percent buttons are not a slider anymore</DIV>
<DIV>Added Show image</DIV>
<DIV>Changed odd/even to Upper/Lower</DIV>
<DIV>Added Level Setting for Motionblur</DIV><p>------------<br>
--0-1087052149-1065865279=:77118--