[Bf-funboard] Toolbox Design 3

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:32:22 +0200

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:11:41PM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >It's much harder to make the textlabels fit nicely and to keep
> >well placed targetareas with more than 4. But I agree in that
> >it's possible (and I think I'm capable to developing a good
> >design for that). But as long as it fits, 4 ways is beautyful and
> >simple.
>
> Nah, we can easily do them. :)

What I bsicaly meant, is that the perfect target areas for a radial
menu are evenly sized sections of a circle. The 4 way cross is very
close to that.

> >>  - 2nd time when you use the toolbox within same context, it opens
> >>the
> >>    toobox as you last used it, hilites the last choosen item AND
> >>    hilites in same color the title. Clicking on title then gives
> >>    the same command again.
> >
> >     Reopen as last used conflicts with the formation of habits /
> >     motion-memory. Same action -> same result is better.
> >
> >     Or can you show that this memory-effect is usefull in more cases
> >     than it's not?
>
> Oh yah! Check the current toolbox, or choose one item of the (for
> example) W key menu in Blender. Second time choosing gives menu at same
> location. This is the famous 'fastest pixel you can reach'.

It's one thing I don't like about the Toolbox ...

> In my proposal the new toolbox then should be placed with the active
> title under the cursor. Better that, than moving the whole toolbox to
> the last selected item itself... that will confuse too much.

If you must have it this way, it better be very easy to travel along
the menu. Mabe it should be so, that every corridor betwen start and
any menuentry is "save". So you can move the mousecursor in a very
slopy way without fear to close the menu.