[Bf-funboard] Statistics

Roland Hess bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:06:46 -0400

>It doesn't have to send it directly. For one thing, it
>could be a user option, turned off by default that
>would save to a file on the HD. The user that wishes
>to participate could then sent it back to the BF after
>a fixed period of time through a webinterface or by
>e-mail or something.
>
>nothing hidden and sneaky
>
>Martin

Best current open source example: Mozilla. Mozilla has a feedback
agent. At installation and upon first crash (the first time it would
be used), Mozilla politely asks if you would like to communicate
certain facts and figures to the mother ship. It's quite upfront
about it, and couches it in terms of "would you like to assist in
improving the open source Mozilla movement?" As long as it's opt-in
only, and comprehensively explained to the user, I think this is an
excellent idea.

--
Roland Hess
Digital Prepress/Network Administrator