(...and fields) Re: [Bf-funboard] Reorganising the buttons

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 04:13:15 +1000

It looks nice....
Some comments:
I think renaming OSA to Anti-aliasing (or AA) is a good idea... I like there
being a slider since I think the number of samples should be arbitrary
(though a slider implies there is a maximum. I don't think there should be a
maximum... it could use left/right arrows instead)
As far as motion blur goes, it actually has 2 parts... the "blur factor"
(how many frames the blur goes for - e.g. 0.5) and the number of samples. It
gets the number of samples number from AA (OSA). (I think it should be
independent though). In the old blender, the number of samples was next to
OSA and MBLUR so you could see that it applies to both of them. But for your
screenshot, the AA (of 5) looks like it only applies to the AA, when it in
fact applies to MBLUR as well. The render window position picture could say
"Position of Render Window" as its tooltip since it currently doesn't look
very clear. I think Xparts and Yparts shouldn't be shortened to X and Y....
X and Y seem like a position.... an alternative could be cols and rows
though that is way too confusing for many people. (they might forget which
was vertical and which is horizontal) The "Size %" should be like the old
blender or a dropdown menu since it is meant for a limited number of values
(25, 50, 75, 100%)
I like Roel's ideas as far as saving space and readibility goes... though
yours has prettier buttons.

As far as fields goes, I wrote a post (that may be posted soon) that says
that even and odd are disliked by video people - they prefer "upper" and
"lower". I think even=lower and odd=upper (but I haven't double-checked that
yet with my TV). Upper and lower (rather than even and odd) - or U and L,
which is clarified in a tooltip, could go on the same line as "fields". I
don't really see the need for disabling the time difference thing for
fields.... if I don't want a time difference I just render without fields.
Otherwise it renders things like envmaps twice per frame, completely
unnecessarily. It might also recalculate other things like shadows too.

- Luke.