[Bf-funboard] Toolbox design

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:13:18 +1000

ton wrote:
> The new toolbox should only provide a subset of the currently available
> pulldown menu options, completely limited to the set of commands that
> *actually* work within the context.

I think commands that don't work should also be included... e.g. if only one
object is selected, I think commands like ctrl-t ("Track...") should still
be shown, but then when the user selects it there is a helpful error
message. That way the user can see that the command exists, and also what to
do to make it work. If it was simply grayed out they mightn't know why it
can't be accessed. (It could be darker than valid commands, but still be
able to be selected, so that the helpful error message could appear)

> A toolbox for a IpoWindow will differ from 3DWindow. We even will have
> one in ButtonsWindow, listing all options currently available there,
> even when it's only the F4-F10 hotkeys.

The thing is, that if a ButtonsWindow exists on the screen, then the
F4-F10(?) hotkeys are available to alter it, even if the mouse active in
another area of the screen. So I think that if that is the case, the
commands for the buttons window should also be in the toolbox (if the
buttons window exists).
Also, if you're on the ButtonsWindow (or 3DWindow and maybe others?) and you
press tab, it goes into editmode, even in the ButtonsWindow is maximized. So
I think editmode (tab) could maybe be included if you are focussed on the
ButtonsWindow (maybe even if the window is maximized, since the hotkey works
then). Ctrl-tab also works if the ButtonsWindow is maximized. Ctrl-tab works
if the IPOWindow is maximized too, but tab only has an effect if there is a
selected IPO in the IPOWindow. Though ctrl-tab works when the ButtonsWindows
and the IPOWindow (and probably other types) are maximized, I guess it isn't
such a good idea to include them in the spacebar toolbox, since their
effects can't immediately be seen by the user...

- Luke