[Bf-funboard] (Ton) Toolbox design

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:28:42 +0200

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 01:11:37PM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The discussion goes in a confusing direction. The purpose of the UI
> redesign is to provide a consistant & coherent method for users to
> locate settings, options and tools.
>
> Settings (like OSA, or other render options) are not going to be in
> pulldown menus, nor in the new toolbox.For that the button panels are
> for.
>
> The new toolbox should only provide a subset of the currently available
> pulldown menu options, completely limited to the set of commands that
> *actually* work within the context.
>
> So:
>
> - only commands (and displaying optional hotkey)
> - 100% context sensitive
> - meant to provide info on the current context (modes/states) and
> what's possible within that.

So you want a _pure_ context-menu like in other apps on rightclick.

I assume that everything currently in the toolbox will find it's way
into one of the context menus. Well, "File" commands maybe not?!

So something like Border Select goes in because it's started with a
command, but something like Proportional Vertex Editing not because
it needs to be toggled (and has an option / would need 2 switches).

OK. Simplicity speaks for this.

Has anybody an idea which commands are accessible in whatever context?
I probably will come up with sets for selection and edit mode, but I'm
not that used to all stuff related to animation, so it would be great
if somebody could provide for that.

I then still want to check if it fits into radial menus or try multi
column layouts. Hope at least such a thing has a chance of
implementation in 2.3 (or another not to far away release).

---
Thorsten