[Bf-funboard] Toolbox design

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:11:37 +0200

Hi,

The discussion goes in a confusing direction. The purpose of the UI
redesign is to provide a consistant & coherent method for users to
locate settings, options and tools.

Settings (like OSA, or other render options) are not going to be in
pulldown menus, nor in the new toolbox.For that the button panels are
for.

The new toolbox should only provide a subset of the currently available
pulldown menu options, completely limited to the set of commands that
*actually* work within the context.

So:

- only commands (and displaying optional hotkey)
- 100% context sensitive
- meant to provide info on the current context (modes/states) and
what's possible within that.

A toolbox for a IpoWindow will differ from 3DWindow. We even will have
one in ButtonsWindow, listing all options currently available there,
even when it's only the F4-F10 hotkeys.

Matt committed his pulldown proposal in Tuhopuu, I will do this in
bf-blender soon (weekend). I will check on the code, and make sure it's
all (technically) transparant, so the options (commands) can be reused
for hotkeys, pulldowns, buttons, and new toolbox. Even Python!

-Ton-