[Bf-funboard] IPO Interpolation

Roland Hess bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:19:04 -0400

And now, a small break from the colors/modes/tracking discussions...

Currently, there are three ways of interpolating between key values
in IPOs: Constant, Linear, and Bezier.

In my animation work, I have found that the default action of the
bezier method is never satisfactory. What I change it to by hand,
almost every time, and what better mimics real-world motion, is an
ease-in/ease-out, which the current method employs, but without the
overshoot. Once my characters/objects hit their keys, I want them to
stay put!

Most things in the real world that operate under power
(people/animals/machines) do not overshoot their targets. Motions
start slowly, move rapidly in the middle, then slow again at the end
as the object attempts to more finely acquire its target. Once it
finds it, it stops.

I would like to see one of two things: 1 (best): A new method added
to the IPO interpolation list, called Ease In/Out. 2 (not as good):
The default bezier method set to this. From a coding standpoint, all
that has to be done is for the control handles of each point to have
their y-values set to equal that of the key point.

I'm going to try to whip up a Python script tonight to apply this
change to my IPOs, as I'm really tired of doing it by hand on 15
differents action IPOs per character over 600 frames of animation.
But if it were an embedded choice, it would make realistic character
motion much easier.

Later.
--
Roland Hess - harkyman