[Bf-funboard] Object color proposal

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:51:16 +0200

Hi,

> To be tactless and blunt, knock this crap off.  We've already agreed (I
> thought) that states like "non-selected active" shouldn't exist.
> There's non-selected, selected, active (a subset of selected) and
> (because I don't know the real name) currently manipulated.

Tsk tsk! If you think people post crap here just ignore it. :)

Currently there is an 'unselected active' state. This makes the
interface less 'nervous', for example when you deselect-all (AKEY) the
buttons or IpoWindow and other editing windows are not emptied. You can
also SHIFT+click twice at an Object to switch selection state, also in
that case the UI doesn't change.

We can drop that of course. I've tried it once in the code, and it
really didn't feel good... what we *can* do however, is defining that
all tools in a 3d window (parenting etc) don't operate when the active
Object is not selected. The 'unselected active' state then only is for
communicating context to the rest of the UI.

Next point:
We don't have a simple decision process here. When there's no consensis
on topics it will mostly depend on someone being able to write a
proposal that's widely endorsed. Look at Matt's work, with only
discussing a pulldown system at this list we never would have found a
solution. Good research, and a good proposal with nice images then is
the way you can get it done.
When still proposals are not generally endorsed;
1- the admins here (Matt, me) and of bf-blender (phase, sirdude,
larstiq) can decide.
2- Personally I reserve the right to reject proposals or enforce
decisions, but won't likely do that without being backupped.

-Ton-