[Bf-funboard] File Browser proposal

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 02:54:03 +1000

Hi,
I don't think the parent directory icon is clear... it kind of looks like a
plus sign with some blue shapes or an anti-clockwise curve with an
arrow-head pointing to the left. (I know it is supposed to be a folder with
an arrow pointing up) how about just a black arrow? If a folder needs to
also be included, it should be light yellow with a light outline, not grey
with a blue outline. The reason is because the folder metaphor involves
manilla folders, and they're usually a yellowish kind of colour. Also, that
colour is used in Windows and perhaps other OS's.
Your descriptions for the left and right arrows aren't clear... Are they
like the "forward" and "back" in internet browers (and windows explorer)?
(Where they are used to go through the current windows history) If so, the
arrows should initially be grayed out, and the forward arrow should be
grayed out unless "back" is used...
I think those left and right arrows shouldn't be included at all though. It
is simple to go to the parent directory or to a subdirectory. The arrows
just make it more confusing.
I think the refresh icon should be black, not grey, so the curved arrows are
very distinct.
As far as the .blend file type goes, there could also be a .blend* mask
which also shows .blend1, .blend2, etc. Either there would be a choice
between .blend and .blend*, or it could always be .blend*.
BTW, separate is spelt "separate". I think there should be one thing for
combining sequenced images. e.g. a toggling icon that means "combine image
sequence" or "organize image sequence files". This icon should icon appear
when browsing image files (not blend files, etc). Currently your icons make
it look like "separate" shows the full file descriptions, and "collate"
shows thumbnails or something.
BTW, I'd really like to be able to put things in reverse order by filename,
date, and filesize. I think the convention used in Windows should be used
where there is a little triangle in the appropriate column (Name, Size, Date
Modified) and if it is ascending (A-Z, lowest to highest) the triangle
points upwards. For descending, it points downwards. It could be like
Windows where the first time you click on an inactive column title it goes
to ascending, and then if you later click on that column title it toggles
between descending and ascending. Currently the filenames can be sorted in
ascending order, and the sizes and dates are in descending order.
When thumbnails are made for things, I think this should be able to be
aborted at any time.... otherwise you sometimes you are stuck while they're
generating (e.g. either big pictures or movies). The thumbnails could be
stored as highly compressed jpegs which would stop that thumbnail colour
banding and still keep the thumbnail filesizes to less than 2 or 1.5 kb
each. You'd get a bit of noise in the thumbnails for cartoon or text images
but that can be reduced by reducing the compression amount and it is just a
preview anyway so it doesn't have to be competely perfect (I think it would
be an improvement from the existing thumbnails).
http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/screenshots/kde_k3b_open.png
This pic from Thorsten is good... I like how the parent directory icon is
simply an uparrow, and the refresh icon is nice and clear (just one arrow).
I think the up arrow should come first, like in that pic. It has stars there
too... it looks like they mean favourites folers - and maybe favourite
files? (the single star)
BTW, you need to have somewhere where you can choose the drive you want to
go to. (you can get to it from desktop in Windows, but then you have to go
to "My Computer"...)
- Luke.