[Bf-funboard] File Browser proposal

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:37:48 +0100

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:07:36PM +0100, William Reynish wrote:
> > Maybe it would be good to compare with open/save
> > dialogs
> > of various systems. We could collect screenshots.
>
> Good idea! Lets see what we can find.. But they were
> also meant to be consistant with current Blender icons
> inside the program.

Consistency can also be reached by redesigning everything else;-)
But seriously, remember that windowtype icons are on the list to be
redesigned. So now is not the worst time to think about completely
new icon style everywhere.

And icons that look similiar to what most people are used to
won't hurt Blender.

I have 2 screenshot from KDE and a Java app:
http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/screenshots/

The one from the Java has a little error in it, you will imediately
recognize it. I guess my new windowmanager doesn't like that dialog.

Please download them.

We should collect screenshots from Windows old and new XP look and
of course Mac OS X, maybe old Mac OS as well.

File dialogs from GTK/Gnome are rather ugly and uninteresting.
But what's great about them is, that they have autocompletion
in the filename field (type ".." to navigate up, enter
beginning of filename, hit tab, possible completions show up.
Or if it matches only one file it will be opened imediately).

---
Thorsten