[Bf-funboard] Layer Manager proposal/mock-up

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:39:20 -0500

I've put together a mock-up for a Layer Manager or properties window:

http://www.karimnassar.com/phoenix/images/blend_layers.jpg

I've found that when working on complex models, I use layers a lot to
organize my model.

I've incorporated 3 new features into this panel that I would really
love to have available, and I'm sure that others would find them usefull
also:

Layer Naming: The user can name a layer by clicking on the text-input
button for that layer in the Layer Properties window. When a Layer Name
has been defined, mousing over the layer buttons in the 3-d view pop-up
that Layer Name instead of the "Toggle Layer Visibility" tool-tip.

Layer Locking: This is different from the "Lock to Scene" control on the
3-d window. Toggling this selection freezes the layer in it's current
state-- visibility cannot be toggled without unlocking, and items on
that layer cannot be selected or edited.

Ghost Layer: Toggles the layer as a "ghost" or reference layer. Ghost
layers display in wireframe view as "lighter" than active layers. In
shaded views, ghost layers display as wire-frame. Ghost layers do NOT
render.

These toggles can be stacked, so a layer may be visible, locked, AND
ghosted.

Other per-layer controls could also go in this panel, including perhaps
wire-color settings.

Comments? Input?

--Karim