[Bf-funboard] Re: cloth, hair/fur or general physics engine i n blender

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:20:35 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B35F.4ABBC2F0

	I agree fully. The possibilities with this method are almost
limitless.

		Timothy Baldridge

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Hess [mailto:rolandh@reed-witting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:56 AM
To: bf-funboard@blender.org
Subject: [Bf-funboard] Re: cloth, hair/fur or general physics engine in
blender

There are some nice dicussions about this going on at elYsiun.

 From a functionality standpoint, though, I think there's a better,
easier solution. With the addition of curve guides, wind and
integrated uvmapping, RipStings fiber script has really matured.
Manuel (makehuman) also has a displacement mapping script. In fact,
there are a number of scripts that generate complex geometry.
Wouldn't it be easier to add a python hook for executing
polygon-generating scripts (or any other script) at rendertime?

When linking a script to a mesh object, you can currently choose to
execute on Frame Change or Redraw. But what if you just want to make
your hair/displacement at render time? You test it and tweak it, but
you don't want all those polys hanging around while you finish
modelling/posing/etc. How hard would it be for the renderer to hand
off an object to a python script just before it generates
renderfaces, then generate the renderfaces on the returned, modified
object?

I've checked, and it seems that many of the other hair/fur systems on
other applications generate their follicles at render time. Also, and
for good reason, they implement these systems as plugins. That way,
if someone comes up with an alternative implementation, it's a piece
of cake to try it out or put it into production.

So, I'm calling for a "RenderTime" script link.
--
Roland Hess
IT Manager

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B35F.4ABBC2F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [Bf-funboard] Re: cloth, hair/fur or general physics engine =
in blender</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I agree =
fully. The possibilities with this method are almost limitless.</FONT>
</P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Timothy =
Baldridge</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Roland Hess [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:rolandh@reed-witting.com">mailto:rolandh@reed-witting.com=
</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:56 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: bf-funboard@blender.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: [Bf-funboard] Re: cloth, hair/fur or =
general physics engine in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>blender</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There are some nice dicussions about this going on at =
elYsiun.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;From a functionality standpoint, though, I =
think there's a better, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>easier solution. With the addition of curve guides, =
wind and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>integrated uvmapping, RipStings fiber script has =
really matured. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Manuel (makehuman) also has a displacement mapping =
script. In fact, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>there are a number of scripts that generate complex =
geometry. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Wouldn't it be easier to add a python hook for =
executing </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>polygon-generating scripts (or any other script) at =
rendertime?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>When linking a script to a mesh object, you can =
currently choose to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>execute on Frame Change or Redraw. But what if you =
just want to make </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>your hair/displacement at render time? You test it =
and tweak it, but </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>you don't want all those polys hanging around while =
you finish </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>modelling/posing/etc. How hard would it be for the =
renderer to hand </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>off an object to a python script just before it =
generates </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>renderfaces, then generate the renderfaces on the =
returned, modified </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>object?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've checked, and it seems that many of the other =
hair/fur systems on </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>other applications generate their follicles at =
render time. Also, and </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for good reason, they implement these systems as =
plugins. That way, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>if someone comes up with an alternative =
implementation, it's a piece </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of cake to try it out or put it into =
production.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So, I'm calling for a &quot;RenderTime&quot; script =
link.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Roland Hess</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>IT Manager</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Reed &amp; Witting Company</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bf-funboard mailing list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bf-funboard@blender.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-funboard" =