[Bf-funboard] Full RVK proposal plus more UI proposals

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:36:19 +0100 (CET)

Thaks for the comments! You have some good points. I
have already updated the propoasal because of this!

 --- Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote: > On Mon,

> Mouse control:
> --------------
> You propose to use RMB+Drag for gestures.
> That while RMB alone is to trigger the Toolbox
> without delay.
>
> If it is possible to use click-hold-select-release
> with main
> menu, it should work everywhere, including the
> Toolbox.
>
> "Solutions":
> 1. Don't use RMB+Drag for gestures, but enable
> click-hold-select-release. But what to do with
> gestures?
> 2. Don't allow click-hold-select-release anywhere.
> But that
> means to break with standard behaviour.
> 3. Don't put the Toolbox on RMB, but RMB contextmenu
> is standard.
> 4. Use a delay. A departure from standard behaviour,
> but I could
> imagine to tune the delay so that it is barely
> noticeable, but still
> allows to access gesture input.
> 5. Use a radial menu, so that gestures won't be
> missed. But it's
> very to organize menuitems for radial layouts. We
> would have to cut
> down on things we put into it.
> 6. Go with the proposal and ignore this problem.
>
> Can anyone think of other possibilities?

Look in the proposal now. I have set up like so:

LMB click: select
LMB drag: border select
Ctrl+LMB click: set 3d cursor
Ctrl+LMB drag: gestures

MMB: view manipulation

RMB: toolbox

I think this would work very well, adding consistancy
(RMB used globally for extra options) as well as speed
(no need for pressing B to border select) as well as
consistancy with other software (LMB selects -
LMB+drag borderselects).

> Radio buttons:
> --------------
> Grouping radio buttons without space between them is
> a nice and
> simple solution to their main problem. But a
> selected radio button
> still looks like a depressed (option) button, and
> therefor implies
> that it should go up if you click on it again. That
> lead to the
> (horizontal) listbox solution in my latest mockup.

I think grouping them together would be sufficient
enough if followed, although making a bigger
distinction might be a good idea too. Other programs
don't make other distinctions than putting them close
to each other and I think that works just fine. Maybe
it will seem a little cluttered with loads of
different drawstyles.. Don't know.

> Input buttons:
> --------------
> The didvison in 3 sections is a good idea, I think,
> because you can't
> be sure what happens when clicking near middle
> anyway. It also makes
> keyboard entry easier. However, it has to be clearly
> communicated.
> I think the sections must not be visualized in
> advance. Only on
> mouse-over there should be an indication of what
> will happen on
> clicking. I might look into this later.

Why? I really like the current arrows! Or did you not
mean removing them? The idea was that we should use
the arrows on the input buttons to show that this area
is different.

> Popups:
> -------
> 'OK' and 'Cancel' Buttons. No disappearing on
> roll-out. Yes!

Yay!

> Toolbox mesh editing:
> ---------------------
> Proposal is to put all mesh editing stuff into
> editing window.
>
> Wouldn't it be too crowded?

I'll finish my Edit Buttons proposal soon. It won't be
crowded!

> I think buttonswindow is the place for parameters,
> options and
> commands closely tied to either of them.

But take the Merge function in the toolbox. This has a
popup too - Why must the settings for Remove doubles
only appear in the Edit buttons window and not in a
popup? This is highy inconsistant.

> While I realy like to go through all your stuff, and
> appreciate all
> the work you put into it, I have to say that your
> main page is
> a little bit long. And its' hard to tell what you
> updated when.
> You could improve the presentation by breaking
> things up into
> subpages.

Good idea! I have just organised things into seperate
sections like you suggest!

-William Reynish

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan