[Bf-funboard] Hair in Python?

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:59:10 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B2D6.307B7A90

	In my opinion, any implementation of hair/fur/cloth/liquids/etc.
should be done inside blender itself. Python is not only slow (compared with
C), but is not always easy to use in all OS. It's allot easer to go to the
animation buttons, click New Effect, and then select hair, then split the
window, switch to the script window, load a script, press Alt-P. Also, C
code can have a much higher level of integration with blender itself. Hence,
I recommend saving Python for "throw-away" scripts.

		Timothy Baldridge

-----Original Message-----
From: The Fallen Weeble [mailto:flaw@misaligned.net]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 3:28 PM
To: bf-funboard@blender.org
Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] cloth, hair/fur or general physics engine in
blender

There has recently been a couple topics on Elysiun that deals with the
hair an fur thing.  There's a process in place, we're looking into way
of automating it with python.  You can look at the threads here:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16008

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17751

They're kind of lengthy, but there's some good meat in there (especially
toward the end.

Later.

  Groo

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:10:53PM +0100, benjamin.f@gmx.at wrote:
> lately i read about further steps in blenderdevelpment (
> http://www.blender.org/docs/projects.html ). There are mentioned cloth and
fur/hair simulation.
> I wondered if anyone from blenderteam has already approached this problem
or
> if it just was an idea for the next months/years.
> If not I could maybe do some research about cloth hair/fur or physics
> computing in general in math and physics class.
>
> sorry for kind of crossposting, but i just realised this would be a topic
> for this list, when i hit the submit button in the forum!
>
> benjamin
>
> --
> GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!
>
> Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken
> tolle Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/
>
> +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f|r Mail, Message, More! +++

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B2D6.307B7A90

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Hair in Python?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>In my =
opinion, any implementation of hair/fur/cloth/liquids/etc. should be =
done inside blender itself. Python is not only slow (compared with C), =
but is not always easy to use in all OS. It's allot easer to go to the =
animation buttons, click New Effect, and then select hair, then split =
the window, switch to the script window, load a script, press Alt-P. =
Also, C code can have a much higher level of integration with blender =
itself. Hence, I recommend saving Python for &quot;throw-away&quot; =
scripts.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Timothy =
Baldridge</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: The Fallen Weeble [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:flaw@misaligned.net">mailto:flaw@misaligned.net</A>]</FON=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 3:28 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: bf-funboard@blender.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] cloth, hair/fur or =
general physics engine in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>blender</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There has recently been a couple topics on Elysiun =
that deals with the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>hair an fur thing.&nbsp; There's a process in place, =
we're looking into way</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of automating it with python.&nbsp; You can look at =
the threads here:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3D16008" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3D16008</=
A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3D17751" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3D17751</=
A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>They're kind of lengthy, but there's some good meat =
in there (especially</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>toward the end.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Later.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; Groo</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:10:53PM +0100, =
benjamin.f@gmx.at wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; lately i read about further steps in =
blenderdevelpment (</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.blender.org/docs/projects.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.blender.org/docs/projects.html</A> ). =
There are mentioned cloth and fur/hair simulation. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I wondered if anyone from blenderteam has =
already approached this problem or</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; if it just was an idea for the next =
months/years. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; If not I could maybe do some research about =
cloth hair/fur or physics</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; computing in general in math and physics class. =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; sorry for kind of crossposting, but i just =
realised this would be a topic</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; for this list, when i hit the submit button in =
the forum!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; benjamin</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise =
zu gewinnen!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als =
Belohnung winken</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; tolle Preise. <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; +++ GMX - die erste Adresse f|r Mail, Message, =
More! +++</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
></FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bf-funboard mailing list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bf-funboard@blender.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-funboard" =